“Marketing: the action or business of promoting and selling products or services, including market research and advertising.”
Promoting? Selling? No one wants to be “sold” to, and, let’s face it, we’re all smart enough to know what “promotion” is.
So, what’s a business to do?
The key concept today is “engagement”.
How do you engage your customers, prospects, friends and family so that they want to listen to what you want to say? Some of it is obvious:
- No promoting (duh!)
- No selling (double duh!)
The rest is a bit harder. What do you say? Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- My mom always used to say “sharing is caring”. Share what you do, share what you think, what is happening in your life, your company, your community.
- Seasonal ideas or comments. Holidays are obvious, but also keep in mind things like baseball or sports seasons
- Incorporate any local community events
- Try a quirky or unusual “fun fact”
- How about a “tip of the month” that is tied to your industry
- “Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery”. If someone else has a great idea that you like, try it out!
The bottom line is the same: will this be of interest to people? Will they want to read it and, moreover, will they react?
PS That “reaction” is also known as engagement. If they do something (anything!) after reading the email, we have all done our jobs well!